Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Small Intimate Weddings

During April I have been asked to conduct four small intimate, and on two occasions, family-only weddings. This is unusual for me because most of the weddings I do are large formal ceremonies but I have to admit, I do like the smaller ones too.

Frequently a central part of the ceremony is acknowledging the couples’ children from prior marriages and finding meaningful ways to let them know how important they are to this new marriage. Often we acknowledge the guests and the role they have played in the lives of the bride and groom and then we ask them to publicly express their love and support. I like that we can give the guests a role in the ceremony rather than having them sit or stand passively just watching what is taking place.

These ceremonies are definitely more intimate and give us the opportunity to be creative in ways that are difficult in large formal weddings. So if you are a couple leaning toward a smaller wedding go for it, you can make them very personal and special.

No comments: