Sunday, November 2, 2008

West Loop Studio

West Loop Studio was the venue for Steve and Sarah's wedding last night. The studio is owned by Steve Ewert who along with Jamie Kelter, the studio manager, were the photographers. My photo above does not do justice to what the room looks like so be sure and click on their link for some really good photos. The room is on the third floor of the building, has very high ceilings and is what you would expect in a loft. The 100 guests fit nicely in the space and although there were only about 60 chairs to use during the ceremony, it was only about 12 mintues long so those who had to stand were not inconvenienced. Contact Jamie for more information, 312.733.5762 tel, jamie@westloopstudio.com

Blue Plate
did the catering and Jessica McLean, was the person in charge. Jessica was there just when I needed her help and she and her staff remained calm and helpful during the 20 minute delay while we waited for several members of the groom's immediate family to arrive. The food and service was excellent. During the delay Jessica told me that even though Blue Plate is a large organization, she is part of a special group who only work on weddings. That allows them to provide all the resources of a large catering company but the attention of a small group of consultants who focus only on weddings. You can contact Jessica at 312.239.2844 or jmclean@blueplatechicago.com


Erik Friedly and Brent Rolland from Fig Media were the DJ's for the reception.
They were friendly, helpful and very professional. In my experience, Fig Media always does good work.

I am not exactly sure why but I had an exceptionally wonderful time at this wedding. Sarah and Steve were a lot of fun to work with. They had specific ideas about their ceremony but they weren't demanding or difficult. Right before we started they were both relaxed and obviously excited about the ceremony. When Sarah walked down the aisle with her father her face lit up with a huge smile. Steve had not seen her before the ceremony and when he saw her that first time, his eyes filled with tears of joy. After her father had presented her Sarah gave Steve a tissue to wipe his eyes and when he finished he tucked it back in the top of her low cut dress. My only response was, "Ok then, let's get started." Everyone in the room seemed really happy and excited about this wedding and at the very end when I presented Steve and Sarah for the first time as husband and wife, everyone erupted in cheers and clapping.

I really love conducting weddings and feel so privileged to be a part of weddings like Sarah and Steve's.

One final thought, recently both a coordinator and a photographer told me that in their experience couples who take most of their photos before the ceremony are much more relaxed at the start of the wedding. Frankly, in my experience I am not sure that's the case, for instance, I can't think of a more relaxed couple that Sarah and Steve. But then, I am a traditionalist and I like it when the bride and groom have not seen each other before the ceremony. I feel very tender when I see the bride look down the aisle and see the groom waiting there for her. I love to watch the expression on the grooms face when he sees his future wife enter the room and walk down the aisle. Most often they are just like Steve was last night, their eyes well up with tears and I can see the love and tenderness they feel for the bride.

Obviously the decision about photographs is up to the bride and groom but I had to add my two cents worth.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: